Sunday, November 25, 2012

Cold Weather = Warm Woolies!

I love winter. There, I said it. Boo and hiss all you want, but as a fibre artist, I love using all my lovely woolies to keep me warm. They look sad in their baskets and drawers all summer, and I'm happy to wear them again.

My place is covered in fibre, as I'm once again preparing for the Halifax Crafters market, the 2012 Beary Merry Market! I'm dyeing up lots of merino top, will have plenty of carded batts and novelty fibres, and I've got some new things on my table: hand knit slouchy hats made from hand spun yarn, blanket felt mittens in many colours, French press cozies, tea cozies, and more! I'm very excited and have been having fun prototyping new designs this fall.

 I call this colour-way Alien Bees. It's dry now and put up in braids, and looks spectacular!

I'm also planning to card some batts based on the colours of my favourite gemstones. So far I've dreamed up Labradorite, Rainbow Moonstone, Carnelian, and Amethyst. What are your favourites?

3 comments:

J Goreham-Penney said...

Warm wooly fibres is winter's only redeemable asset! ;)

Valerie said...

not that I'm a spinner, but I've always been partial to lapis lazuli. Partially because it's fun to say...

UberWench said...

Ooh! Good one! I love Lapis!